Monday, July 9, 2012

Pinterest in Real Life: Filling a Piping Bag

 "It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."


I pinned this tip (video, 1:10 mark) for filling a piping bag with minimal muss and fuss a few weeks ago and I've been excited to try it out. So when I made red velvet cupcakes and vanilla cream cheese frosting for Husband's and my father-in-law's birthdays last week, I decided to give it a shot.

I recommend watching the video, but the basic principle is that rather than plopping and scraping frosting directly into a bag, you roll it up in plastic wrap and drop it in.

I've gotta say, it worked great. The ends of the plastic wrap did unwind pretty quickly, but I was using really cheap stuff and I think I overfilled it a tad. Still, there was almost no mess. The nice, clean bag made it much easier to remove my coupler when I was finished.

This is my finished product. I packaged up all the prettiest ones to take to dinner and give to my neighbor, so this is one of the less attractive. And I used a tad too much cream when I was making the frosting, so it's a little bit runnier than I like for piping. But even so, I think they look pretty damned good!


No comments:

Post a Comment