Monday, February 11, 2013

Writing and Whatnot

Source (Public Domain)
Since we began school in late August, I've scarcely taken any paid writing work. As much as I love getting paid to do something I love, I just haven't had the time to offer my clients the kind of commitment that I pride myself on and I'm not willing to downgrade my level of service just to make a buck. So I basically took a break. I've done some simple, fun writing here and there for a gymnastics blog and I have a few (also gymnastics) book reviews in the queue, but I've done no marketing and no querying at all.

And I miss it so very much.

Bug will be eighteen months old on the 26th and he's finally sort of settled into a predictable schedule and become comfortable with caretakers who are not me-and-my-chest. Bear is doing beautifully in her lessons and her activities, Husband is on a more predictable and manageable schedule, and I've decided that it's time to work in a little writing time.

My plan is to set aside a scant two or three hours per week which will function as my office hours. It'll have to be in the evening when Husband is home, which is not ideal because I'm really at my best earlier in the day. But if I know those hours are specifically for writing, I can prepare myself to be in the right frame of mind.

I have a list of ideas for magazine articles I'd like to query, a novel I haven't touched in over a month, and a fat stack of half-written and unedited poems that could really use a coat of polish. Not to mention writing here!

It's very easy to slip into that "Once [X] happens, I can finally [Y]," mindset, but there is always another 'X' to wait for and at some point you just have to make time for the things that matter. 'Y' matters right now, today. So it's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment