Thursday, February 28, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I'm not big on breakfast. Don't get me wrong—I love breakfast foods. Pancakes, bacon, French toast, bacon, waffles, bacon, hashbrowns, bacon...I love breakfast. I'm just not big on eating it when I get up. I'm not usually super hungry in the morning, I'm tired and don't want to prepare something for myself in addition to whatever I'm making for Bug, and I just want to begin my coffee infusion so I can start thinking and doing and whatnot. Even making a bowl of cereal and eating it seems like a colossal effort.

However, I also think it's important to model at least somewhat good health habits for my kids and eating breakfast is part of that. So I like to keep simple, grab-and-go breakfast options on hand. I like things that go well with my coffee and that I can easily share with Bug if he's not in the mood to sit and eat his own food. I almost always have bananas in the house because we both like them, and I also like to bake muffins once every couple of weeks.

Usually I make these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that I found on Pinterest. I love them. They're delicious and the recipe is perfect. But the other day I got to thinking: would it work if I used a cup of mashed bananas in place of the pumpkin?

The answer to that is yes. Yes, it does. And it's effing delicious. I think I actually prefer it to the pumpkin, and I LOVE pumpkin.

When you photograph muffins you have to tip one on its side. It's the internet's rule, not mine.

I kept all the spices and everything the same, just to see how it would turn out, and it worked great. I might actually cut down some of the spices next time just to let the banana flavor come through a bit more, but they are wonderful just as they are. I also might do half white/half brown sugar next time, just to see what happens. I always dump in about an extra 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and I love it in the pumpkin, but I don't think these need it. I might actually use less than a cup next time.

Mmm...chocolate...

I baked mine for twenty-three minutes (they were still gooey inside at nineteen) and they're perfect. The recipe makes one dozen, which will last me about a week, as I will eat two most days. Breakfast AND dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment