Friday, August 17, 2012

Starting School Next Week!

"And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle so that Man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals. Amen."


So this past Wednesday, all of Bear's friends went back to brick and mortar public schools while she slept in, ate breakfast, lounged around, read books...and complained all day about the overwhelming boredom. My plan was to begin school on September 10, giving us a nice, long summer break, but Bear asked me if we can begin earlier than that because she's so incredibly bored out of her gourd.

So...we're starting on Monday! I had to revamp my lesson plans a little bit and move a few things around, but it's going to work out just fine.The first week isn't going to be too intense, anyway. Here's the basic plan for Week One:

Daily journaling (5-10 minutes; sometimes with prompts, sometimes not)
Chapters 1-10 of The School Story with vocab/spelling attached
Make our own offices (I'll do a post on this later, but it's so cool)
Possibly begin our Life of Fred math book, if we're feeling it.

Pretty basic stuff, really. Lots of reading together and being crafty, both of which Bear loves. All in all, I doubt we'll spend more than two hours per day "doing school" this first week. But honestly, I don't intend for our formal daily lessons to take much more than that even once we dive in. After all, Bear is one kid—not one kid in a class of twenty-five. And if Bug is being high maintenance or we get a last-minute invitation to play that we just can't pass up, we can always pause and come back later.

Anyway. We're really, really excited. Over the next few weeks, I plan to update about our progress, what is working and what's not, and also how I've pieced together our learning plan for the year. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment