Monday, June 4, 2012

Ronald McDonald House Experience

 "I'm here to tell you, you're perfect just the way you are. But if you feel like losing a few pounds, gettin' healthier, and making some good friends in the process...then Joe's is the place for you. Don't forget that Youth Dodgeball classes are forming right now. So come on down and learn a great game the way it's supposed to be played. Right, kids?"


source
As I mentioned last week, we volunteered with a group of homeschool families at Ronald McDonald House on May 29th. If you aren't familiar with RMH, take a moment to check it out at the link above. It's a fantastic organization.

I didn't tell Bear ahead of time that it was a homeschool function because I didn't want her going in with any preconceived notions. She was excited about helping people, especially sick kids, and I didn't want to jade that for her. I also thought it would be nice to let her meet and grow to like some homeschool kids without any prejudices.

And she did. She bonded quickly with another girl her age, and after they'd been playing for awhile, Bear learned that the girl is a homeschooler. She was pretty shocked. She told me later that she'd thought everyone else there had gone to "normal" (*eyeroll*) school and that she was the only one who "had to homeschool."

So on that front, it was a great experience for her. I didn't push it or do a, "See, I TOLD you!" dance. I just asked if she'd like to hang out with that little girl again sometime, and the girl's mother and I agreed to make plans.

Strawberry pink lemonade cupcake
As far as the volunteer work, I wasn't able to help as much as I would have liked because I had a certain Bug strapped to my chest, but I did cut some olives one-handed and helped where I could. It was pretty awesome watching everyone in action. Bear grabbed a pair of gloves and jumped right in, and I think it was rewarding for her. We brought a few ingredients and I made some strawberry pink lemonade cupcakes for dessert. I may have left a few at home. Possibly.

I didn't take any photos of us working because I wasn't sure about the rules on that, what with the Children's Hospital patients and lots of kids there, in general. So instead I took a picture of my pretty cupcake*.

So yeah. It was a really great experience. I think next time I'll try to get a sitter for Bug so that I can be more helpful, but I at least know what to expect now. Bear wanted to stay there so we could help again at breakfast. I love her altruistic spirit. She really does care deeply about helping other people. I could learn a thing or two from her.

Maybe she'll be homeschooling me, too.



*Get your mind out of the gutter. This is a family show. 

2 comments:

  1. All three of you did a great job. :) I've done it with a kid strapped to me, too. It is more challenging, but you did a lot! No worries there. I didn't even have a kid strapped to me and I'm pretty sure I squashed at least 10 black olives under my shoe.

    My cupcake, btw, eaten in the dark cover of night while my precious offspring slept unaware, was amazing. If it hadn't been 1 a.m. I might have called to tell you that you should probably start a cupcake microbusiness. Those things are all the rage. But seriously - yum. So good for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! I have a few other recipes I want to try out. I like making cupcakes because it's easy to make it look like it was difficult. lol

    ReplyDelete