Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pinterest in Real Life: Buckeye Brownies


I live in Northern Kentucky, which is the best place in the world to live anywhere in the history of places. Here we get to be both Southerners and Midwesterners, Kentuckians and Ohioans (due to our proximity to Cincinnati). We have traditions and customs that come from both sides of the river and it makes our little notch on the Ohio River a really unique, special place to call home.

One of the things we greedily take from our neighbors to the north are Buckeye candies. If you've never had a Buckeye, then you are wrong and should hate yourself. You should also remedy this problem immediately. Unless you have a nut allergy, in which case, please do not take the above advice and end up in anaphylactic shock and sue me because I nearly killed you. 'Cause there's peanut butter involved here. You've been warned.

Anyway, I came across a recipe for something called Buckeye Brownies on Pinterest a few weeks ago. Chocolate? Peanut Butter? Brownies? I'm in. I'm ALL in.

The recipe is really simple and I had everything on hand, so I went for it. I just made a pan of boxed-mix brownies, let it cool while we ran errands, and then whipped up my peanut butter and chocolate for the topping.

And I will say this—they are good. The chewiness of the brownie is a nice contrast against the creaminess of the peanut butter and chocolate topping. The problem? The peanut butter comes right off the brownie. I mean, it doesn't stick at ALL.  You have to hold the pieces together to eat it as one dessert, so I've ended up with a bunch of plain brownies and what looks like choco-peanut butter fudge.

What a Buckeye Brownie SHOULD look like...

...and what it actually looks like after it fails at life.

I don't think I'll make this again with the brownies. I think I WILL make the peanut butter and chocolate again and instead of rolling it up, I'll just make a two-layer fudge. That's how I've been eating it, and it's really good. Maybe I'll even do chocolate on the bottom and the top. Buckeye Fudge, I'll call it. Yeah...that's the ticket.


1 comment:

  1. I wonder if it's a difference between making the cake-like brownies or the fudge-like brownies. or it could just be a pinterest fail (there is a specific blog for that, BTW)

    ReplyDelete